Here are a few options for charging the first generation Lytro camera battery, in order of reliability and convenience:
- Connect the Lytro camera to the optional Lytro Fast Charger USB wall charger accessory. Charge time = 2 hours (approximate).
- Using the included USB cable, connect the Lytro camera to any standard USB-output wall adapter (500mA - 2100mA, see detailed list below). Charge time varies depending on adapter power rating:
- iPad® USB Power Adapter (2100mA / 10W): 2 hours (approximate).
- iPhone® 3, 3GS, 4, 4S, or 5 USB Power Adapter (1000mA cube): 5 hours (approximate).
- iPod® or iPod Touch® USB Power Adapter
- Amazon Kindle Charger
- Barnes & Noble NOOK® Charger
- Mobile phone chargers from LG, HTC, Samsung and RIM BlackBerry® smartphone
- Using the included USB cable, connect the Lytro camera to a powered USB port on your computer itself (not a port on a USB hub, keyboard or monitor). Charge time 5 - 8 hours (approximate).
- Make sure that your computer is not in sleep mode to ensure power is flowing to the Lytro camera.
- If you are having trouble charging your Lytro camera, try a hard reset.
- If you connect the camera to USB power and the camera does not begin charging within a minute or so, please try a "hard reset" of the camera while still connected to power.
- The provided list of compatible wall charger adapters is not intended to be complete. Nor does inclusion of a brand indicate endorsement, sponsorship or other approval by Lytro of the brand or its owner, or by the owner of Lytro or of Lytro products. Our testing occurred in late 2011; specifications may subsequently change.
- If the camera detects that the attached charger is incompatible, it will display a “this charger won’t work” error screen, as shown below:
- Please note that certain third-party chargers may display inaccurate power output specifications and therefore may be incompatible with the Lytro camera.
- iPad®, iPod® and iPhone® are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.; Amazon, Kindle, Kindle Fire, the Amazon Kindle logo and the Kindle Fire logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates; Barnes & Noble and NOOK are registered trademarks of Barnes & Noble, Inc. or its affiliates; RIM® and BlackBerry® are registered trademarks of Research In Motion Limited or its affiliates.
- The camera cannot be used while it is being charged.
- When battery (or internal storage memory) are running low, a thin red band will appear at the bottom of the touchscreen.
- The included USB cable is not proprietary; you can use any standard USB cable that has a "Standard-A" plug on one end and a "Micro-B" plug on the other.
NOTE: This article applies to the first generation Lytro camera only.