For more information on the ILLUM's flash interface controls, Click Here.
Does the LYTRO ILLUM have a flash?
The LYTRO ILLUM camera does not have a built-in flash.
Can I use a third-party flash?
The LYTRO ILLUM has a standard ISO hot shoe for mounting or firing an external flash. It works with:
- Any 3rd party, center-pin sync flash with auto modes capable of operating at an aperture of f/2.0.
- Center-pin-sync wireless triggers in trigger (nonauto/TTL) mode (such as PocketWizards).
- TTL modes are not supported - only manual mode is currently supported.
- For wired off-camera flash control, use a hot shoe to sync cord adapter.
- The max sync speed (fastest shutter speed you can use with a flash) is 1/250th.
How do I use the LYTRO ILLUM with a third-party flash?
Make sure your flash has a standard center-pin-sync, low-voltage hot shoe.
If you're new to using flash in manual mode, here's a starting point:
- Turn the flash off. Mount the flash securely in the camera's hot shoe.
- Camera settings:
- Exposure Mode: Manual.
- Shutter speed: 1/250th or slower.
- ISO: as needed to bring the ambient exposure to the desired level.
- Turn on your flash, set it to manual power, and set the flash power to 1/4.
- Take a picture.
- Review it on the camera's screen: if the results are too bright or dark, use the power controls on the flash to adjust the flash power and take another picture to check the results.
- You can also adjust exposure using ISO and shutter speed controls on camera.
NOTE: The Lytro ILLUM will not register a 3rd party flash; the Flash menu will be grayed out.
NOTE: The picture displayed on the camera screen is a preview of the living picture; after processing in Lytro Desktop or the Lytro Mobile App, the exposure of the living picture may be somewhat different.
If you are having trouble with your flash or triggers transmitting, make sure the hot shoe connection is secure. Try removing the flash or trigger, and reattaching it, making sure it is mounted firmly and secured tightly to the ILLUM's hot shoe.